The Definitive Guide to Engaging Email Marketing
Buyers today are empowered. The Web provides them with instant information gratification. They can access detailed specs, pricing, and reviews about goods and services 24/7 with a few flicks of their thumbs. Meanwhile, social media encourages them to share and compare, while mobile devices add a wherever/whenever dimension to every aspect of the experience.
In this environment, old-fashioned “batch and blast” email will serve only to alienate buyers. With short attention spans and intelligent buying and browsing habits, digitally-savvy consumers want personalized, relevant communications.
To succeed with modern email marketing, you need to know:
- What makes email truly trusted and engaging
- How to talk with each of your customers individually, rather than at them as a group
- How to engage your audience with cross-channel conversations, listening and responding effectively
So how can marketers do these things? How can marketers upgrade their email to make it truly engaging — and therefore more effective? We set out to answer these questions, and came up with a comprehensive resource for all things related to modern email marketing. We call it The Definitive Guide to Engaging Email Marketing (#DG2EEM), and it has 150 pages of expert commentary, email marketing research, and real-world examples of successful campaigns.
- Email must be trusted. It’s essential that your emails set and then consistently meet subscriber expectations.
- Email must be relevant. You have an obligation to deliver the right content to the right person at the right time, based on a smart understanding of each subscriber’s interests and behaviors.
- Email must be conversational. Buyers are individuals, and they deserve personalized communications. This means abandoning the idea of batch and blast campaigns and entering into a relationship-oriented mindset that continuously builds engagement with consumers, one by one and over time.
- Email must be coordinated with other channels. Your emails must be coordinated with interactions from every marketing channel, so that your customers’ experiences are consistent and progressive.
- Email must be strategic. Always use the right metrics to measure your email marketing tactics and assess their effectiveness and worth. Then, make adjustments accordingly.
It also covers the latest research and expert advice across a variety of email topics, including writing subject lines, designing emails for mobile, building and managing your list, avoiding spam filters, integrating email and social, and more. The guide also talks about the latest in email technology, including what to look for in a modern email service provider.
Here’s what the experts have to say about the guide:
“This is a great collection of ready to use nuggets, actionable advice and reminders on why email is the hub of digital marketing. I recommend it for anyone looking to get a refresher on email or take a deeper dive into what the channel can offer.” – Simms Jenkins, CEO BrightWave Marketing & Author of The New Inbox and the Truth About Email
“Although this book is a tremendous introduction to the ever-changing email landscape, it could be an even more valuable resource for experienced marketers in a new era where success depends on building real relationships.” – Matt Blumberg, Chariman & CEO of Return Path, Inc
“It’s one thing to send emails. It’s an entirely other ballgame to send email that’s engaging, timely, targeted, and part of an overall integrated campaign. This Guide is chock full of actionable tips and suggestions to help get your email marketing message delivered, opened, and acted upon. A MUST read.” – DJ Waldow, Founder & CEO of Waldow Social and Co-Author of “The Rebel’s Guide to Email Marketing”
“Even in our social media-savvy, always-on, content-saturated world, email remains the backbone of your marketing mix. So the question becomes: Are you using it to its fullest potential? If you can’t look me straight in the eye and answer ‘YES!’ without hesitation or a flicker of doubt, then you need this guide. It delivers the latest tips and tools and email smarts you need to succeed.” – Ann Handley, Chief Content Officer of MarketingProfs and Co-Author of the Best-Selling Book on Content Marketing, Content Rules (Wiley, 2012)
Download the Definitive Guide to Engaging Email Marketing to get started making your email marketing more trusted, more relevant, and more conversational.