Want to know the ROI of social media? So do we. With our latest Facebook campaign, we are doing just that; tying leads generated by Facebook directly into our revenue pipeline via Marketo. In doing so, we are turning the world’s largest social platform into a powerful lead generation tool.
How did we do it? We developed a custom Facebook application that generates a special offer and is powered by a Marketo landing page. Sticking with our Revenue Rockstar theme, we designed three limited edition “Marketing Rockstar” decals. Visitors to our Facebook page are prompted to “Like” our page which then lets them select their favorite decal. Once they make their selection a Marketo form pops up within Facebook and upon clicking the Get My Decal (submit) button they are prompted to share to their social network.
Here are ten reasons why we love this campaign:
- Leads go directly into our marketing automation software in real-time. By embedding Marketo code directly into a Facebook app, it becomes a landing page inside of Facebook.
- From there the names are added directly into a lead nurture campaign. A scheduled series of targeted emails and flow steps takes the campaign participant on a journey to marketing qualified lead(MQL).
- Anonymous leads are identified. For leads who have already visited our corporate site but have never shared their contact information, we’re able to link their anonymous browsing history with their known profile upon submission.
- We’re enhancing the data captured on the lead generation form with the inferred information populated from Marketo and through one of our data partners. We are then using this information to score campaign members. Matching demographic information like industry, company size, and job title helps identify hot prospects. An added benefit is that we can use this information to provide content that is going to be most useful for this participant.
- Including the Marketo “Munchkin” code on our confirmation page allows us to drop a cookie on a prospect’s browser. Why is this important? Because now we can track Facebook as their original source, even if they visit us long after they participate in this campaign.
- Lead scoring. Those with high lead scores, based on their demographics, participation in this campaign, and participation in other campaigns (online and off) are then sent to sales as a marketing qualified lead (MQL).
- Location, Location, Location. Why force prospects to visit your website when you can capture their information right where they are ‘hanging out’ online.
- Virality. Since the campaign is happening on Facebook, they are more likely to share our campaign with their Facebook buddies than if we had simply posted this offer on our website. More sharing = more successful campaign.
- We continue the conversation when we mail the decal to the participant. In this case we have the option of including custom messaging on the back of the decal.
- We can now measure the marketing ROI of our social efforts. By capturing names through our social channels and tagging them with a specific campaign, we can see which ones turn to revenue. This includes both new leads, and those that are already in the system and are being nurtured with the decal offer.
We believe this is truly a one of a kind social media campaign since it turns social media into a lead generation tool. With the help of marketing automation software these leads are then tied directly to our revenue. This could be a lead generation game changer as we begin to gather leads directly from the world’s largest social media platform.
Critical to this program was working with an agency like Scorch who not only understood the design goals, but could help us create a program that was also trackable. Connecting with partners who understand long sales cycles and lead stages is critical for our campaigns success.
What do you think of this campaign? Have you been successful implementing marketing automation with your social campaigns?