Authentication is the technical standards through which ISPs and other mail gateway administrators can establish the true identity of an email sender. In order to clearly differentiate yourself from spammers, you should take steps to protect your brand by incorporating sender authentication technologies. If you are using an email or marketing automation provider that follows best practices like Marketo much of this will be done for you. If not, you will need to do the following:
- Research and find the authentication scheme that best suits your organization’s needs (DKIM, SenderID, or SPF).
- Identify the machines that send email for your organization and record the IP addresses and sending domains for each.
- Create and publish authentication records.
- Test your authentication records by publishing records in “test” mode. This will determine if you’ve missed identifying mail servers in your inventory.
- Regularly monitor your IP addresses.